Welcome to the Environmental Sustainability Rotary Action Group
(ESRAG)! We formed ESRAG to empower members of the Rotary
Family worldwide to take actions to sustain our environment,
particularly to stabilize our climate.
We formed ESRAG (Environmental Sustainability Rotary Action Group) to empower members of the Rotary Family worldwide to take actions to sustain our environment, particularly to stabilize our climate.
ESRAG provides an organizing point and informational resources to share information with clubs and communities about sustainable practices and the global humanitarian crisis of climate change.
Our action model: Identify environmental leaders within the Rotary world, assist them in initiating environmental service projects that are meaningful to THEM, help where we can, and acknowledge and publicize their awesome work.
Environmental Sustainability Rotarian Action Group (ESRAG) assists Rotary clubs, districts and multi-districts in planning, implementing and evaluating service projects, building awareness, and inspiring action. These projects promote environmental sustainability, awareness of climate change, and actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to mitigate climate disruption. ESRAG promotes educational resources, initiates dialogue about environmental sustainability, and uses best practices in models and assessments for both projects and daily choices. This work advances the Object of Rotary through positive impacts in all six Areas of Focus.
ESRAG’s focus on environmental sustainability offers Rotary the opportunity to provide long-term benefits for people all over the world. We will work to ensure that project investments preserve the ability for the environment to renew itself and continue to support human well-being, thereby supplying life-sustaining benefits to communities.
The need for Rotary to engage more around environmental sustainability was poignantly demonstrated at ESRAG’s Inaugural Meeting in Sao Paulo. Rotarians were able to hear first-hand from fellow Rotarians about how the changing climate is already adversely affecting people in their countries. For example:
- Bangladesh – their economy is primarily based on agriculture; climate change is causing more flooding and droughts which are negatively affecting both the economy and food supplies.
- Benin Republic, Africa – droughts are adversely affecting most aspects of village life in Africa.
- Netherlands – significant investments have been and continue to need to be made to create flood defenses.
- ESRAG will facilitate dialogue and drive action on critical humanitarian problems like these.
A world where people unite and take action to protect the environment for a sustainable future.
Inspire and empower the Rotary Family with extensive expertise, networks, education and best practices to implement sustainable and impactful environmental projects.
- Protect, preserve, and conserve natural resources
- Implement pollution solutions
- Avert biodiversity and ecosystem loss
- Support sustainable and resilient food systems
- Promote clean and affordable energy and energy efficiency
- Implement climate solutions
- Foster circular economies that eliminate waste
- Support sustainable living and responsible consumption
- Promote ecosystem and community resilience
- Advocate for environmental equity and public health
- Foster environmental activity by developing impactful, and sustainable multi club and district projects and communicating these to clubs
- Stimulate significant environmental action by establishing task forces and teams, developing expertise and educational materials
- Engage, inspire and support Clubs and Districts to plan and implement sustainable environmental projects in the Rotary Areas of Focus
- Build ESRAG’s influence by increasing ESRAG membership and establishing networks within Rotary
- Inspire and develop environmental awareness and leadership by providing educational materials, training and mentoring
- Develop systems that collect key metrics, including project and membership data, as best management
- Expand ESRAG’s impact by networking and collaborating with key internal and external stakeholders
- Enhance project realization by building relationships and raising funds from groups (governments, NGO’s, philanthropic groups, businesses)
- Increase cooperation by connecting clubs especially those with similar environmental project interests
Find your ESRAG
Search by your lcoation with our handy
finder tool or view all chapters.
Learn about our
In 1990 Perserve Planet Earrth was created
for Rotary to claim its place on the world
stage of the environment movement.
The leadership team
Patricia Armstrong (Australia)Chair Elect, Director, Communications & Education, Admin & Governance
ESRAG organizational documents
ESRAG Administrative Procedures
ESRAG Strategic Plan, 2018
ESRAG Conflict of Interest Policy
Director & Member Conflict of Interest Statement
2019-2020 ESRAG Audit Committee Report
2019-2020 Financial Statement
2019-2020 Audit Committee Report